This Website / Blog belongs to Dora M. Dominguez-Carey 2005: Background Template by Dora D. Carey 2011: Dominguez Generations, Inc. 2005;
Online Media Contributor: theEXaminer 2007; Online Media Contributor: SB Nation 2014
WELCOME TO MY LATINO BLOG!
WHERE I WILL BLOG ABOUT ANYTHING RELATED TO LIFE MAINLY MY OWN!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Genealogy Quagmire: The Lack of Family Documentation Through-out The Years.

I am pondering with the fact that through-out generations, Latinos seem to be the more lax people when it comes to documenting data and facts pertaining to family history. Lack of documentation in my own family is the reason why I wrote the post below. Finding where my family's roots began is the basis of my current geneaological project(s) and where my venture truly does begin.

I have recently begun a genealogical journey into finding out from where this Latina/Tejana’s roots stem. It is not easy starting the venture because I did not really know where to begin. I had no idea which web sites would provide the best data so I just gambled and started research via 3 different ones. Geni.com, My Heritage.com and the grand-daddy of ‘em all, Ancestry.com. Besides, since my start up data is so limited, it is basically like asking these 3 web sites...‘where does Dora’s history begin?’! Really, folks, I have almost nothing to start out with as far as family history goes. I realize that I am very fortunate in having the basic data which means I know whom my parents and grand-parents are, but the “history bus-ride” stops there. To add to the start up problems, I am not sure if my father’s name is what we always thought it was. His birth certificate shows a different name all together. Maybe it is not his b.c. - maybe it belongs to a sibling we never knew existed- maybe my father had a twin brother. That explanation would not be so difficult to grasp as my father and mother did give life to their own set of twins back in 1961. A boy and a girl. My baby brother did not survive very long and passed away from an illness just a couple of weeks later; however, my sister did survive that twin birth and I do thank God everyday for her because I could not imagine her not being part of the family – nor in my own life. I am thankful for each one of my other siblings as well. Each one special in his/her own right and serving a special purpose on this Earth.

Anyway, the quagmire which currently plagues my journey into getting our family history composed is further clogged by not knowing my father’s true birth date and birth place. I guess hiring an expert would be ideal right at this point of my research, but who can afford that during these bad financial times. I wish I had that kind of money, because let’s face it, folks, money can pretty much buy us anything. Being shy of being a millionaire myself by about $999,999.00, I must regress to doing things the old fashioned way…hard work + lots of time = sweat equity.

I do not know how much information I may be able to retrieve in the end nor what I will actually do with it all once I get it. Of course I will share it with my family - that's a given. I may find historical facts which will make me proud, and of course, I am prepping myself for any contrary data which might make me ashamed, mad or both. Whatever I find out is okay. I just want to know. It is already difficult having very limited knowledge of your family history dating back to more than one generation (beyond grandparents), but when there also exists questionable data beginning with one’s parent (i.e. my dad), well...that just wreaks. Unfortunately, that is the point where I find myself currently.

If I can just get past the initial data…information pertinent to my parents, especially my father, then I just know the rest will flow easily and steadily. I currently find myself unwilling to stop; I am unwaivering in my attempts to find out my family roots and such. Although there is much information out there on some family members and almost none on others, I am committed to bringing this genealogical project as close to fruition as possible even if it takes me months or years. It may be a never ending project, but at least I will have more data to pass onto future generations versus what limited data was left for me/us. It is indeed a challenge, but an interesting one – a true journey of life. Let the quagmire continue...

3 comments:

  1. As an undergrad and grad student, I learned about this lack of documentation our Raza is guilty of and it is most unfortunate. After all, the best way to keep a people submissive and oppressed is by denying them their history. In all fairness to our ancestors, most were uneducated and could barely read and write (if at all). So keeping a diary or journal was virtually impossible. And they didn't have much in terms of material possessions or money. In contrast, most anglos kept inventories of what they owned, i.e. furniture, china, silver, livestock, heirlooms, etc. So now, the research is up to us. We can do the best we can to research and uncover our roots. Then, going forward, we need to document anything and everything for future generations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an FYI for your blog readers: There is a video that I think they would enjoy--"Chicano! History of the Mexican American Civil Rights Movement" that was released in 1996. I came across it in my research when I attended school. Our civil rights movement is one of the least studied social movements of the '60s (besides the gay rights movement). It's divided into four parts and each part is about an hour in length. If anyone buys it or looks for it in the library, it's well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your posts and you are totally right about our raza lacking the means to keep records and such, but they always kept folkloric-stories alive and well. interesting, huh?!! I look forward to seeing the video: --"Chicano! History of the Mexican American Civil Rights Movement" and hope some of our readers will invest some of their time to view it.

    ReplyDelete