This Website / Blog belongs to Dora M. Dominguez-Carey 2005: Background Template by Dora D. Carey 2011: Dominguez Generations, Inc. 2005;
Online Media Contributor: theEXaminer 2007; Online Media Contributor: SB Nation 2014
WELCOME TO MY LATINO BLOG!
WHERE I WILL BLOG ABOUT ANYTHING RELATED TO LIFE MAINLY MY OWN!

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Dora's Corner: Honoring A Legend: Dolores Huerta!

I once said that if I was to pick a hero, it would be my own mother, my sisters, my partner.  However, if I were to pick someone outside of my family, it would definitely have to be Dolores Huerta.  With that said, I add that it is about time to start honoring the great Dolores Huerta. 
There is already a holiday honoring César Chávez.  Celebrations for this holiday are held in many parts of the United States. It is a state holiday in California and an optional holiday in states such as Colorado and Texas, but its celebrations go beyond these three states. Other states where celebrations and various activities occur in honor of Dr Chávez include Arizona, Michigan, Nebraska and New Mexico.
Anyway...back from my tangent.  Key points that Mother Jones used, and I agree with, in its website as proof that Ms. Huerta needs to have her own "day" already!
1. She's the mother of the farm-workers movement.
2. She was instrumental in winning key protections for workers.
3. She led a historic boycott against the grape industry.
4. She originated the phrase, "Si se puede."
5. She helped put Latinas in power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment